Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Poem analysis-OVERDUES by Shel Silverstein

This poem is called OVERDUES and it is by Shel Silverstein. In case you can’t read it on the picture below, it says, “What do I do? What do I do? This library book is 42 years overdue. I admit It is mine but I can’t pay the fine should I turn it in or hide it again. What do I do? What do I do? Burn the library to the ground until it’s just a mound of ashes and debris. Yes, yes I see! My courage I’ll muster, torch it like my old Block Buster!”
This poem might be a limerick because it tells a short, funny story. It tells the story of a person wondering what to do about his overdue library book. It also could be a sonnet because it rymes and it has about 14 lines. But, this poem is most likely a free verse. Free verse poems are poems that don’t exactly follow any specific pattern. This probably isn’t a limerick. Limericks do tell short, funny stories, but they also have five verses. It also isn’t exactly a sonnet because sonnets have 14 lines, not 16 like this one. So, OVERDUES by Shel Silverstein is probably a free verse poem.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Genocide Project

1- What is the most beneficial/most important thing you have learned throughout this project? Explain.         The most important thing ...